Monday, August 8, 2011

Human Pincushion

So it turns out that tropical Africa has some pretty nasty diseases. I knew we'd have to get some inoculations before going over there, but I wasn't quite prepared for the variety. After my second visit, and 5th injection, I told the receptionist "I don't really like coming here. Every time I do I get stabbed. Repeatedly". She thought that was amusing. I wasn't sure I was kidding...

We went to the International Travelers Medical Clinic in San Ramon, an imposing sounding name, but in reality a doctor's office staffed by a lady who specializes in figuring out which countries have what life-threatening diseases, and what to do about it. I appreciated her thoroughness, but watching her struggle over whether we'd need an inoculation for Yellow Fever didn't exactly set my mind at ease.

In the end we settled on this list to be treated for

1) Hepatitis A (3 shots over a 6 month period)
2) Hepatitis B (Same shots)
3) Measles, Mumps, Rubella booster (shot)
4) Polio booster (shot)
5) TDAP booster - Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (shot with an extra large needle)
6) Typhoid - 4 pills taken 2 days apart

In addition I got prescriptions for

7) Diamox, to help dealing with altitude
8) Ciprofloxacin, a broad spectrum antibiotic, just in case
9) Malarone, for Malaria prevention

The good news is that after pumping my body full of all these toxins I can probably have sex with a promiscuous Rhinoceros and not have to worry about catching anything.


1 comment:

  1. Um.....I sure hope I don't have to watch that, although it would most likely result in an award winning "what I saw on my vacation" story.

    ReplyDelete