Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Calgon, take me away!

Ahhhh... A hot shower. With water pressure. That lasts as long as I want. Followed by a hot bath. Nir-freakin-vana.

After 6 days on the road we arrived in Kamloops for our 2nd rest day. Everything I have is grimy and smelly, but we'll worry about that tomorrow. At least I'm finally clean and can stand the smell of myself.

I made a tactical decision to skip today's ride. It was scheduled to be 110 miles in to a headwind all day long. Although the scenery was nice, it didn't measure up to some of the areas we've already covered, and some that are still coming. So, I decided to ride in the van today. That gives my saddle sore almost 3 full days to heal up, and hopefully puts me in good shape to make it through the last 7 days of riding.

I'll try posting some picks tomorrow, but I'm still having internet access issues from my room. I'm typing this in the lobby of the hotel because it's the only place where the wireless connection seems to work. Oh, the joys of travelling...

Tomorrow should more accurately be called a "catch-up" day instead of a "rest day". I'll be doing laundry, visiting the bike shop, catching up on Google Earth stuff, doing bike maintenance, etc. We need a full day every once in awhile just to catch up on this stuff.

Kamloops strikes me as kind of a blue-collar sort of town. There are a large number of homeless and vagrants and other assorted scruffians. At the same time there are the usual coffee shops and restaurants and curio shops and whatnot located on the main drag. Vancouver is supposedly offering their homeless one-way bus tickets to get them out of town in advance of the coming Winter Olympics. Doesn't seem very sporting to the folks of Kamloops, but there you go.

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet everyone is happy that you got a good shower.
    Rest and save your legs for the good ride. You have some beautiful scenery coming up.
    When you start again, ride safely Joe Joe.

    ReplyDelete