Monday, July 20, 2009

The road to Jasper

We're enjoying a rest day here in the town of Jasper, the civic center of Jasper National Park. It's a much needed rest day. I have a new saddle sore to match my previous one. The original is healing nicely, but by shifting my position in the saddle I managed to create a new one.

The wear-and-tear of three weeks on the road is showing. My cleats are shot. My bike squeaks in all sorts of odd ways. My skin in barely holding together. So a day off is much appreciated. We have three more riding days beginning tomorrow. The first two are both monster days, taking us out to the icefields, and then down to Banff.

We had a most delightful ride into town yesterday, only 55 miles, with a 20m mph tailwind the entire way. As we re-entered the mountains the scenery was once again otherworldly. There were sights that normally would warrant hopping off the bike for a picture, but on this ride barely registered.

Tomorrow's campground will be really remote, in all likelihood without internet, cell phone, electricity, or running water. I'll try to catch up again in Banff.

3 comments:

  1. You must be suffering from sensory overload by now. How can one scene be more beautiful than the last. Canada is beautiful. Too bad it gets so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ride carefully the rest of the way Joe Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get saddle sores on the ride across the states? I don't remember you talking about them.

    ReplyDelete