Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Going to the Sun






"A Scenic Orgasm"

Frank coined the term of the day, as accurate a description of this ride as I can imagine.


I've included a small sampling of the pictures I took during the day. They give a feel for the ride, but no photo can capture the enveloping nature of the experience.

We were surrounded by 360 degrees of grandeur. To be honest I had never heard of the Going To The Sun road before a couple of days ago. Now I understand why it is considered one of the world's iconic cycling rides. It's beautiful and majestic on a scale that's difficult to comprehend unless you've seen it.

After a 10 mile early struggle against the headwinds we began the climb in earnest. The climb should have seemed a lot more difficult than it was, but the awe inspiring environment seemed to power us to the top. Jim, Jeurg, Terry and I rode together, stopped for tons of photo ops and just reveled in the natural beauty of the place. After summiting at the top of the climb we really felt like it hadn't been all that daunting a climb. I was stopped by several car cruisers while we were at the top and asked about the ride. Honestly, I would much rather bike the route than drive it. We were part of all of this, could stop as often as we liked, and got to experience the park in a very personal and intimate way. What a marvelous experience.

1 comment:

  1. What wonderful country. You are fortunate to be able to do this ride.

    Ride safely Joe Joe.

    ReplyDelete